If you’re traveling between the North and South Islands, you’re going to need to book a ferry for you and your van. This is really simple and the ferry trip itself will be a very special part of your New Zealand road- trip.
The stretch of water between the North Island and South Island is called the Cook Strait and whilst it may not look far, it takes about 3 ½ hours to cross from one island to the other on a ferry. With Bluebridge and the Inter-Islander you’ll experience their warm Kiwi hospitality and some of the world’s most incredible scenery in Wellington harbour and the Marlborough sounds.
Island hopping with Bluebridge:
- 50 sailings a week.
- Central downtown Wellington terminal with free shuttle in Picton.
- Free extras: fast uninterrupted Wifi and movies.
- Pre-bookable private cabins with ensuite and linen- choice of single, double, and family cabins.
- Great value food freshly prepared by our onboard chefs.
Island hopping with Inter-Islander:
- 60 Sailings a week
- The original Cook Strait ferry.
- Enjoy locally sourced food and beverages,
- Cinemas onboard
- Free kids activities
- Premium lounges on board all our ferries.