TERMS & INSURANCE
Yep, the fine print..!
Sorry, we’re not big on fine print either, but every reputable campervan rental company has comprehensive insurance options and detailed ‘Terms and Conditions’.
So read on and feel free to contact us if you have any queries.
Escape’s insurance is comprehensive, great value and easy to understand.
Standard insurance is included in your daily rate, but we think there’s several good reasons why you should consider upgrading your insurance to reduce the risk:
- You’re traveling away from home, in an unfamiliar vehicle in conditions which are likely to be very different to what you’ve driven on previously (there are many unsealed roads in New Zealand).
- No matter who is at fault, you will be liable for any new damage to our van, unless you have upgraded your insurance to nil liability as per below. There are too many uninsured cars on New Zealand roads and whilst it may not be your fault, our ability to recover costs is slim to none.
- Third party costs and vehicle repair expenses are really high in New Zealand.
- Taking full insurance also means that you don’t have to leave a $3,000 bond with us.
- And most importantly, taking full insurance also gives you peace of mind when you’re travelling (but remember – it covers the vehicle only. You should have your own travel insurance for your own belongings).
Standard insurance is included in the daily rate, so there really are no hidden costs.
However, hirers will be liable for any damage that may occur to the vehicle (or third party) whilst it is on hire. The potential liability is $3,000 though, so many of our hirers choose to take out ‘excess waiver insurance’ which can reduce the maximum liability right down to nil (again, dependent on your age and the insurance option taken).
Remember, this is completely optional. Check out the three options within the table below and choose the one that is best for you.
- If the insurance excess waiver option is taken, it is valid for the first incident or accident only. This is typical for all rental vehicle companies in New Zealand.
- The liability may be capped but all insurance is waived if the vehicle is being driven in a manner which is outside the agreed terms of our contract e.g. Drunk driving, negligence leading to loss etc. In such instances, the hirers can be held liable for all costs associated with any accident or loss.
- ‘Vehicle Roll’ Clause. All insurance is waived/void if a van has been rolled in a single vehicle incident (side, roof or chassis damage). I.e. Hirer is fully liable for all costs irrespective of insurance option taken if van has been rolled.
If you want to watch a quick video about what the boss has to say about your insurance options. Click here,
Escape Rentals conditions around insurance are pretty much industry standard within New Zealand. That said, you will find that we provide our hirers much more scope to travel freely around New Zealand.
Whilst others may prohibit you from driving on unsealed roads (or not cover you for unsealed roads within their insurance options) we think it’s important to get off the beaten track and explore New Zealand, so our ‘No Worries Mate’ insurance covers you for unsealed roads.
There are a few exclusions to this (driving on the beach and a handful of dangerous roads you shouldn’t drive on anyway) but you will find our ‘No Worries Mate’ insurance to be amongst the most reasonable and comprehensive cover available. But please read through the insurance options below and feel free to contact us if you have any queries.
These terms and conditions will form part of your rental agreement with Escape Rentals. We know there’s a lot to take in here, but it is important you understand all the ‘ins’ and ‘outs’ of your hire contract with us. If you don’t, that’s OK. We’ll talk you through it when you collect your van also.
Please note: that our rental agreement has been developed in consultation with the Rental Vehicle Association of New Zealand. This ensures that it is industry standard, protecting the hirer via the New Zealand consumer guarantee act. It also sets out any exclusions and the hirer’s obligations and potential liability.
Remember, if you’re unsure about anything or you have any questions, feel free to drop us a line before you arrive or let us talk you through it when you collect your vehicle.
- If you cancel your confirmed Escape reservation more than 22 days before your scheduled pick up date, we will refund your deposit in full.
- If you cancel your confirmed Escape reservation within 7 to 21 days before your scheduled pick up date, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $300 (lose your deposit) or 20%% of your total hire cost, whichever is higher.
- If you cancel your confirmed Escape reservation within 1 to 6 days before your scheduled pick up date, you will be charged a cancellation fee of 50%% of your total gross rental cost.
- If you cancel your confirmed Escape reservation on day of pick up, or you ‘no-show’ (fail to collect your vehicle on the agreed date) then you will be charged 100%% of your gross rental cost.
- If you collect your Escape Campervan later than your booked/scheduled pick up date, there is no refund for any used unused days and any unused days cannot be transferred to the end of the hire
- If you return your Escape Campervan early for any reason whatsoever after travel has commenced, then no refund is available.