New Zealand’s favorite backpacker campervans!
Our range of small, but perfectly formed Campervans are easy to drive, economical to run and comfortable to camp in. We know it takes more than a great paintjob to deliver a superb New Zealand self-drive holiday. You need a good, cheap, reliable mode of transport, with lots of free inclusions and no hidden costs.
Perhaps that’s why Escape constantly ranks as one of the best budget campervan providers in New Zealand. We’re travellers too and we know what matters.
These vehicles are rugged and dependable, ideal for New Zealand driving conditions.
- Make – Nissan Caravan or Toyota Hiace vans.
- Age – Most vans are 4-9 years old (average 2007)
- Engine – 2.0 litre petrol engine.
- Transmission – Automatic and manual vans available.
- Sleeps 2 or 3 adults (also seats 2 or 3 adults).
- Queen sized bed (largest in its class) with free, fresh linen.
- Kitchenette, cooker, sink, dining table, utensils included and more
- Campervan Model: Nissan Caravan/Toyota Hiace
- Vehicle Age: Average 2007 (most are 4-9 years old)
- Fit-out age: Average 2009-2011
- Engine size: 2.0 litre, 4 cylinder
- Transmission: Manual or automatic (your choice of transmission is available on request but subject to availability, or it can be guaranteed for a fee)
- Fuel: 91 Unleaded Petrol
- Fuel Tank: 50-60 Litres
- Fuel Consumption: 10-12 litres/100kms
- Passengers: Seats and Sleeps 3 (1 queen size bed area)
- Length: 4.5-4.8m
- Width: 1.7m average
- External Height: 2.1m average
- Internal Height: 1.35m average
- Bed size: 1 Queen size bed (2.1m x 1.5m)
- Storage space : approx 300L (under bed area)
If you are looking for the van dimensions because you’re booking a ferry crossing with Bluebridge, please simply book it under the ‘car/van/ute> 5.5meters’ category.
To find out more about booking your ferry, click here.
- 10-20 Litre water tank
- Single burner Gas stove
- Greywater tank (Certified self-contained models only)
- Internal dining table
- Power Steering
- Air conditioning
- Chilly bin
- Sink with running water, tap and drain
- Radio/CD with MP3 aux input
- 3 camping/beach chairs
- Curtains on all rear windows
- Free bedding for 3 adults (2 Duvets, fitted sheet, 3 pillows)
- Cutlery and Crockery
- Cooking utensils
- Mains power (240v) connection cabling
- 240v Lamp and 240v Heater
Escape campervans are pretty economical. All vans run on unleaded petrol, which is approximately $1.99 per litre (as at June 2016). That means a full tank of gas will cost you about NZ$100 – $120 and you should get close to 500kms per tank (depending on how you drive!). That’s about 10-12 litres per 100kms.
And when you travel with Escape, you get an AA Smartfuel card which entitles you to an immediate discount on petrol at over 400 service stations throughout New Zealand. You can take the immediate discount (which is generally 4cents-8cents per litre) or accumulate a greater discount by using the card frequently at the service stations or any of the other participating retailers (including some of New Zealand’s favourite activities and attractions).
Escape is pleased to announce that we have a limited number of self-contained campervans available for hire. These vans are certified self-contained which means they feature a chemical toilet and additional water storage tanks. They are the same layout as all of our other Escape Campervans, but they are also amongst the newest of our fleet. Self-contained campervans are available for an additional $25 per day in summer ($29 per day in winter) – subject to availability.
To take advantage of the self-contained option, simply ‘tick’ the self-contained option within the accessories page of your booking request (or drop us an email or give us a call to arrange).
In New Zealand, self-contained campervans are able to park at additional campgrounds if they are certified as such (which ours are) but remember….there’s over 6,000 campgrounds throughout New Zealand, so whatever option you choose, you’ll have plenty of campground facilities available to use. And as always, we urge you to use them. Escape does not recommend freedom camping when there are so many great camping spots out there.
Escape Campervans insurance is comprehensive, great value and easy to understand.
Your campervan hire already includes standard insurance, but there is a $3,000 excess you would be liable for in the event of an accident (unless it is a single vehicle accident, where you may be liable for up to $4,000). If you are driving outside the agreed terms or your Escape Rentals agreement (drunk driving, negligent driving etc) you may be liable for ALL costs associated with the accident/incident – So drive carefully. If you choose NOT to upgrade your insurance, a $3,000 bond is required and will be frozen on your credit card, which is then released at the end of your hire, when the van is returned in the agreed condition, to the agreed depot on the agreed date and time. We simply ask that our vans are returned in the same condition as when they were collected and if there’s damage, the hirer will be liable.
But you can get that your excess liability reduced to zero by upgrading your insurance. So click here to get diverted to our insurance page so you can choose the best option for you.
Accessories (optional extras)
Make your ‘great escape’ a bit ‘greater’ by adding a few extra items to your hire. The prices are listed below and can be accessed by ticking the appropriate box within the ‘Quick Quotes and Bookings’ form.
Download a PDF here.
Equipment/facilities (what’s included)
Escapes operates a ‘No Hidden Costs’ policy, which means the quoted price includes everything listed below. So whilst many other campervan companies may surprise you with additional charges (extra drivers, road user charges etc.)… We don’t.
But we do have a few optional accessories available for hire too….and you may want to upgrade your insurance so that you have nil liability, but that’s entirely up to you. Check out the inclusions and optional accessories below.
- GST (tax) and unlimited kilometres..
- Standard insurance (Option A) which can be upgraded.
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Additional/multiple drivers at no extra cost
- CD/radio stereo with MP3 front aux. port
- Full Queen size bed & free bedding (professionally dry cleaned before each hire)
- 3 beach/picnic chairs (free)
- Gas cooker, gas cartridge, sink with running water
- Chilly bin (esky/cooler/ice box whatever you want to call it!)
- 240V Mains power connection cabling (for use at powered sites)
- Mains powered heater and lamp
- Heaps of storage room (300 litres plus)
- Cooking and living equipment (Cutlery, crockery, pots, pans etc. – for a detailed list click here).
Free stuff when you hire with Escape
Our list of inclusions is already quite extensive, but we know every little bit helps when you’re travelling on a budget, so we’re pleased to provide these following items to you for free also:
- Free Escape Guidebook, Department of Conservation guides, free maps, books (help yourself from our depot when you collect the van)
- Free AA Smartfuel Card (for fuel discounts whilst you travel)
- Free SIM Card for mobile phones (old school, android, I-phone, we’ve got you covered)
- Free snow chains during winter (for hires over 20 days)
What’s not included?
Because Escape operates a ‘No Hidden Costs’ policy, there are heaps of inclusions and only a couple of optional items (which are not included) for you to consider:
- Optional insurance excess reduction options– You may want to upgrade your standard insurance so that you have nil liability when travelling with us. Click here to see all our available insurance options.
- Optional accessory items are not included but are available for hire (picnic table, BBQ, self contained van option etc.) To check out our optional accessories, use the ‘accessories’ tab above
- Transmission guarantee is not included. We have a mix of both manual and automatic transmissions. You can state your preference when you book and we’ll do our best to get it sorted. Alternatively, you can pay a transmission guarantee fee of $10 per day (capped at $200 total) which guarantees your choice of transmission.
What else should I bring?
- There’s heaps to see and do in New Zealand, so naturally, bring your credit or debit card. You may want to check your limit if you’re taking standard ‘option A or B’ insurance only, because you’ll have to leave a bond frozen with us.
- Bring your beach towel and sun block. New Zealand’s summer sun is pretty intense and we know you’ll find a secluded beach somewhere and you’ll want to stop and flop!
- New Zealand weather can be quite changeable and can vary city to city. Bring a wind breaker and some sort of light raincoat.
- Bring your comfortable hiking shoes. There are too many amazing walks to list, but you’ll find them on your travels when you get off the beaten track And don’t worry about snakes (we have none) or poisonous spiders (we have one or two, but they very rare and pretty harmless…certainly not life threatening). Hiking through the native New Zealand bush really is good for the heart…and soul.
- Bring your adventurous spirit and an open, friendly attitude. You’ll meet many kiwis like us, who are proud of our country. We’ll show you our favourite spots, tell you where it’s best to camp, even recommend a good place for fish n chips. And we’ll do it all with a smile. So be friendly and make friends…we’ll make you want to come back one day
Roadside Assistance – 24/7
Accidents sometimes happen. And occasionally, campervans breakdown (despite our comprehensive maintenance programme). Either way, we’ve got your back.
But first things first. If you’re involved in an accident (no matter how minor) you MUST stop and ensure everyone is OK. If not, call 111 immediately. And please ensure you swap details if there is a third party involved.
In the event of an accident, you need to contact us and NZ Roadside assistance. We’ll discuss your insurance options with you and do what we can to get you back on the road. NZ Roadside assistance will help with any towing or mechanical requirements.
If you breakdown, NZ Roadside assistance is there to help you 24/7 with over 3,500 service providers nationwide (from mechanics, to auto electricians and locksmiths). We operate Toyotas and Nissans only, which are extremely reliable, but it’s good to know we’ve got you covered if anything does go wrong.
Simply call the Free Phone number 0508 NZROAD (697623)
Already travelling with us?
Choose a flavour!
In fact, choose a few. When you send us your booking, also send us a short list of your favourite van designs and we’ll do our best to match you to that van, or one similar (no guarantees though).
Also have a look at some the images that have been submitted by our previous hirers (under ‘Escapades’). If you manage to take a great shot of your Escape Campervan whilst you’re travelling with us , send it through and you could win our monthly ‘Shot Bro’ prize of $250
And if you’re a travel agent wanting to use some of our images for your own brochure or promotional needs, help yourself to the shots featured in our ‘Agents’ section.