Campervans are an ideal mode of transport when travelling across New Zealand. Renting a campervan is often the best option as it allows you the freedom to move, explore, and visit different tourist attractions at your own pace without worrying about where to eat, sleep, and stay.
A recent Tourism Holdings Report revealed that campervans have a significant contribution to New Zealand’s tourism industry. It is also expected that the campervan market will continue to boom in 2020. If you are planning on renting a campervan for your trip across the beautiful country of New Zealand, read this blog to ensure you have a cost-efficient, safe, and memorable campervan experience.
Consider your travel budget
Renting a campervan when travelling across New Zealand is beneficial for two reasons – budget and practicality. It is a given that when you travel you will have expenses. If your funding is limited, you need to make sure that you will not exceed your budget. A campervan is a great way to manage your expenses as you can accurately budget for both travel and accommodation costs in advance.
Here are a few quick tips on creating a practical budget for your campervan trip:
- First, determine a fixed budget for your whole trip.
- Decide how long you will spend travelling.
- Find a campervan based on your budget and travel duration.
- Be aware of your other expenses such as food, fuel, and insurance.
- Talk with a credible rental campervan company about your options.
Remember, it can pay to be somewhat flexible with your travel plans. Opting to travel during the off-peak season may result in lower rental costs compared to the peak season.
Choose a campervan based on your style and needs
The style of the vehicle is one of the essential things to check before renting a campervan. Why? Because you’ll be spending a lot of time in the vehicle for the entire duration of your trip. Make sure to choose the right vehicle that will provide you with both comfort and ease of use while travelling.
Ask yourself some of these questions to help you choose the perfect campervan that fits your needs. Your answers will help you determine the style, interior, and exterior of your campervan.
- How many people are travelling?
- How long are you planning to travel?
- Where do you want to go?
- Do you feel comfortable driving a larger campervan?
- What appliances/furniture do you need on your trip?
Keep in mind that an overly luxurious campervan may be an impractical choice if you don’t have the need for it. To reduce expenses, travel light and rent a campervan with the basic amenities. An excessively sized or over-featured vehicle may cost more to run and insure, and may not be worth the extra cost if you only have basic needs.
Know your campervan’s fuel costs
You will also need to consider fuel in the list of things to check when renting a campervan. Despite the small population of less than 5 million, New Zealand is larger than many tourists assume. It’s over 2000 kilometres (approx 1240 miles) from the top of the North Island to the bottom of the South Island. The abundance of windy mountain roads can also slow down travel time and increase fuel costs.
To help you lessen your fuel cost when travelling, consider the following:
- Fuel usage of various campervan models.
- Appliances may use fuel. Campervan appliances like a fridge and microwave can cost a lot to run.
- Plan your travel itinerary in advance to estimate your fuel cost.
- Look for cheap gas stations ahead of time. Auckland, for example, has a higher fuel tax.
Knowing these things will prepare you for the long trip ahead and minimise travel costs.
Research campervan insurance
Campervan insurance is different from travel insurance. When you rent a campervan, it is important to get wide-cover insurance specific for campervans. Campervan insurance will protect you against vehicle collision, cases of stolen vehicles or break-ins, and natural calamities such as storms or earthquakes. Most rental companies will offer this with the campervan package, but remember to insure your belongings separately as they likely won’t be covered by the campervan insurance.
To help you find the best campervan insurance, use the checklist below.
- Vehicle size. Campervan insurance may vary on the type and size of your van. Larger vehicles will often cost more compared to smaller ones.
- Duration of travel. Knowing how long you will travel on the road will help you determine the right campervan insurance for you.
- Insurance coverage. You can choose from basic coverage or go with a comprehensive one, depending on your budget and needs.
It is essential to know and remember these crucial factors before getting campervan insurance so you can pick the best option available in the market.
New Zealand has many unsealed roads so make sure you pick a provider that provides cover when driving through such terrain. Escape Rentals has one of the only insurance policies which provides vehicle cover, even when driving on unsealed roads. Many other campervan companies don’t.
Read more in our article ‘How Does Campervan Insurance Work?’.
Investigate roadside assistance options
Don’t let your trip be ruined by small incidents such as flat tires or battery problems. To ensure a hassle-free campervan experience, make sure to choose a rental company that offers roadside assistance. Roadside assistance will ensure you have a smooth and worry-free campervan life.
Look for roadside assistance that is readily available and can be conveniently contacted online or by phone. Also, know whether the service includes towing, changing batteries or tires, delivery of emergency supplies, lockout, and extraction or winching. Always remember, good roadside assistance will provide you with a backup or a replacement vehicle in case of an emergency.
Find a credible campervan rental company
There are a lot of campervan companies in New Zealand and it can be overwhelming to find the right one with the best service. If this is your first time renting a campervan, then these points will help you narrow down your search for the best campervan rental company in New Zealand.
- Do a background check on each company based on the number of years in business, customer reviews, service offerings, and approval ratings. This information will help you get a sense of whether the company is reputable and trustworthy.
- Talk with a representative from the company and ask them about the campervan rental experience. A quick conversation should be enough to give you a feeling of how the company usually operates.
- Ask questions about the campervans such as which features are present on each available model, and how often they are maintained and/or repaired.
Book your campervan experience now!
You are one step away from your epic campervan trip through New Zealand. The next step is to get in touch with a campervan rental company. Contact Escape Rentals at 0800 21 61 71 or continue browsing our website to have a chat.
What are you waiting for? Start packing up your stuff and read our other articles on campervan life to help you prepare you on your ultimate adventure across the beautiful land of the long white cloud.