Campervan Hire NZ Safety 4

No matter who you’re hiring your campervan from or how confident you’re behind the wheel, you need to think about insurance. From flat tyres to traffic collisions, taking out insurance helps you to be prepared for the worst.

With a range of different policies to choose from, it can sometimes be confusing. To help simplify the process, we’ve compiled all you need to know about campervan insurance below.

What insurance option should I take?

At most rental companies you’ll be offered three different insurance options. These will usually be titled something along the lines of “Gold, Silver, and Bronze”, or “High, Medium, and Low”, or in our case “No Worries Mate”, “Middle Ground”, and “Roll the Dice Bro”.

As you can likely imagine, the more premium options allow for a less stressful journey with more cover and less excess. That’s why around 90% of our customers opt for our comprehensive “No Worries Mate” policy.

More cover = less stress

When we say ‘more cover’, this simply means that additional circumstances will be covered in your policy. For instance, our ‘No Worries Mate’ policy includes any damages on gravel or unsealed roads as well as covers any punctured tyres or damaged windscreens.

Less excess = less potential cost

Premium, comprehensive options also will have reduced excess. This excess refers to the amount that you’ll have to pay if you were to make a claim. For example, our ‘No Worries Mate’ option has an excess of $0, which means that you won’t be liable for any damages to your vehicle (as long as you haven’t breached our terms and conditions).

A less-comprehensive campervan insurance option may mean an excess will be charged if anything were to go wrong. No matter which campervan rental company you use, a comprehensive insurance plan will take away any worry when it comes to unexpected incidents on the road.

To see our insurance options in more detail, please visit our campervan insurance page.

How much does insurance cost?

To be able to provide lower excess and more cover, rental companies have to charge higher rates for comprehensive options. The more extensive the policy, the higher the daily costs will be.

The cost of our insurance policies are as follows:

  • For our most comprehensive ‘No Worries Mate’ plan, we charge $30 per day if you’re 22 years old or above, or $35 per day if you’re between 18 and 21 years old.
  • If you select our ‘Middle Ground’ option, you’ll be paying a $1,500 bond plus a daily cost of $22.50 if you’re 22 or older, or $25 a day for those 21 and younger.
  • Our ‘Roll the Dice Bro’ policy is included in your daily rental rate. However, you’ll be required to make a bond payment of $3,000 in case of any damages.

If the campervan is returned in the same condition you received it, you’ll receive your bond payment back.

Although each $35 or $30 comprehensive insurance payment may add up during your trip, this cost is minor compared to a $3,000 or $4,000 excess if something were to go wrong. That said, it’s totally up to you what insurance option you want to choose.

What must I do if I’m in an accident?

In the event of an accident, you must call 111 and advise the emergency services.

When possible, you’ll need to notify us about the accident and provide a written statement revealing the details of the incident. You can then claim any damages to the vehicle. Depending on the policy you have chosen, the criteria of the claim may vary.

For more information, please read our terms and conditions on our campervan hire insurance page.

Do I only pay for damages that are my fault?

When renting a campervan from any company, you’re liable for any new damage to the campervan. With this in mind, it certainly makes sense why most travellers choose our premium option. With our ‘No Worries Mate’ policy, you won’t have to stress about paying for accidental damages.

Insurance aside, it’s vital that you always take care when driving on New Zealand roads, especially if you’re used to driving on the right-hand side.
For more information on road safety, have a look at the NZ Road Code and check out our article, “Campervan driving trips for staying alert on the road”.

What happens if my campervan has a mechanical problem?

Although all our campervans get preventive maintenance, there’s always a slight possibility of wear and tear mechanical issues (e.g. faulty headlights). In such an event, you must notify us immediately so that we can respond as quickly as possible.

Depending on the situation and availability of resources, this response may involve providing a replacement vehicle or extending your hire period to make up for the time you couldn’t use your campervan.

Keep in mind that no repairs should be arranged or undertaken without our approval.

Cooking in a campervan

Does campervan insurance cover my personal belongings?

Your campervan insurance only covers damage to the vehicle. If you want your belongings to be insured as well, you’ll need to take out separate travel insurance with another company such as 1Cover or AA. This type of general travel insurance is always recommended when travelling overseas as it’ll typically also cover/ contribute to medical costs if you happen to get sick or injured.

So, what’s the verdict?

Like any other type of insurance, campervan insurance allows you to share or transfer the financial risk of potential damages to your vehicle. If you want to have as little risk as possible, comprehensive policies such as our ‘No Worries Mate’ option are the safest way to go. Although your daily budget may increase, it’s well worth it to ensure a stress-free holiday.

Plus, with over 30,000 hires and 15 years of experience, you don’t have to worry about our insurance policies ripping you off.

We hope that after reading this article, the concept of campervan insurance is making a bit more sense. If you would like any further information don’t hesitate to call us on +64 9 302 4139 (Auckland) or +64 3 379 3941 (Christchurch) or pop in at either depot for a chat.

You may also want to check out our articles, “The Do’s and Don’ts of a New Zealand Road Trip” and “10 Things You Need To Know When Renting a Campervan in New Zealand”.